Western Mirror with Clearance Light

Moderator: FORDification

julesnovember

Western Mirror with Clearance Light

Post by julesnovember »

I've found almost no information on these! My 1970 F350 was equipped with Western Mirrors with Clearance Lights. I've found a wiring diagram for a 1972 with them, but no pictures. I think I've found where they were wired to, but at some point they were removed. Does anyone have any pictures of these? It's a Canadian truck, so maybe it was a Canadian thing? I know I'll never find originals, but I'd like to mount and wire replacements as close as I can to original. Thanks!
Fraser

Re: Western Mirror with Clearance Light

Post by Fraser »

The shop manual contains information for all F series up to 700, mirror clearance lights were not offered on lighter trucks with 3 arm mirrors, however they were mandatory on some mediums (5 arm). The wiring harness has a pigtail for cab lights, and that harness could have one for the mirrors. You may be able to see an F500, or perhaps a bus with them, the wires were just wrapped around the arms. That was a larger mirror, not the same as used on most light trucks, if your F350 is the long wheel base with 10,000 GVW, it could have them.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
julesnovember

Re: Western Mirror with Clearance Light

Post by julesnovember »

Thanks for the info! It is a long wheel base and 10k gvw. I'll do some more checking in the shop and parts manuals.